Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Banana Oatmeal Chia Seed Muffins



With no brown rice syrup on hand to make my go to energy bars for the week I opted to use some of the bananas that are slowly starting to take over my freezer. Like the Lemon Chia Seed Muffins, I used the Jean Pare Muffins and More cookbook as a starting point. You could doctor these up with nuts, chocolate chips, or raisins. I decided to keep it basic. Like the lemon chia seed muffins, I found that the batter is kind of elastic for lack of a better term and the muffins turn out almost chewy. I think this is a function of the chia seed getting a gelatinous coating around them when introduced to liquid. In addition to adding chia seeds, the other modifications I made were halving the sugar, substituting apple sauce for canola oil, and adding some cinnamon.







Banana Oatmeal Chia Seed Muffins
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon

2 eggs
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup milk
4 mashed bananas (1 1/4 cups)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a large bowl, measure the dry ingredients. Stir to mix and make a well in the center.

In a small bowl beat eggs until frothy. Mix in applesauce,milk, and bananas. Pour this wet mixture into the well. Stir just to moisten.

Filled greased or lined muffins cups to the top. Bake for 20 minutes.

Makes 18 muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment