Thursday, June 14, 2012

Grilled Strawberries and Basil Vanilla Gelato

I started this blog in the depths of winter when I was likely to be found in my "uniform" of track pants and hoody by 6:30 and unlikely to leave the house after that.  The nice weather and longer days have changed that...they always do.  Heading out at 8:00pm seems totally normal and PJ's do not get put on until right before I go to bed.  I just really like to be outside during the spring and summer.  Instead of puttering around my kitchen as I do in the fall and winter, I putter in the garden, talk my dog for, another, stroll around the park, or go for a spin on my bike. 

Speaking my of garden, I am kind of obsessed.  My mom is an avid gardener and her green thumb has rubbed off on me. On a recent trip to the local garden center with friends I was the one who knew the names of plants, their sun requirements, and growth patterns.  I could not help laugh at myself when two octogenarians asked where the Creeping Jenny was and I, 1) knew what they were talking about and 2) knew where to direct them.



As for recipes, I have not really made anything blog worthy lately.  I pretty much through together dinner around mine and Kevin's schedules, eat it, and get onto other things.  After seeing a post for roasted strawberries I decided to try something with the Ontario strawberries I had in the fridge.  I took a "summer grilling" themed cooking class at the Ontario College of Health and Technology a little while ago and all the desserts we made involved grilling fruit.  Peaches, pears, pineapples, and mangoes were all delicious when glazed with honey and grilled.  I figured...why not try strawberries!









Grilled Strawberries with Basil Vanilla Gelato

10 strawberries, hulled
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
half of a vanilla bean
2 leaves of basil, torn into small pieces
vanilla gelato (as much as you want)
2 bamboo skewers soaked in water

In a bowl, combine strawberries, maple syrup and seeds from the vanilla bean.  Let this sit for about 10 minutes.  Place five strawberries onto each skewer.  Turn the BBQ onto medium/high heat and grill the strawberry skewers until grill marks just begin to appear.  Serve this skewer over your vanilla gelato and sprinkle with your basil leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment