Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Lemon Chia Seed Muffins

Company's Coming .  My mom had practically the entire cookbook collection from Cookies to Casseroles.  I remember making recipes from those books when I was 10.  My specialty at that time were these no bake peanut butter balls (might have to re-visit those).  In the days before "googling" a recipe was an option, most of my muffin and cookie recipes came from these books.  On a nerdy note, the author, Jean Pare, is from Alberta.  Now, I don't know what channel I was watching while stretching post run in my basement but there was a circa late 80's documentary on about her and the rise of her cookbook empire.  It is actually a pretty interesting story that kept me stretching for a full 30 minutes (otherwise unheard of for me).
This is recipe is a variation of the Poppy Seed Muffin recipe found in Muffins and More.  I subbed in Chia Seeds for poppy seeds.  When I told people about this recipe the first thing they said was "chia seeds...like from a Chia Pet".  You know...Ch-ch-ch-chia!  I wondered. After some googling, they are in fact the same seeds that your Chia pet's rad/gnarly/tubular (insert your own 90's reference here) green fur grew from.

Chia seeds are being touted as a super food. They are high in omega-3 fatty acids and fiber and are packed with calcium, vitamin C and iron.  They don't have a very strong taste so throwing them on top of oatmeal or into smoothies is super easy.  I chose to use lemon jam in this recipe because I am obsessed with all lemon desserts after my trip to France but you could use any jam in the middle.  In fact, the muffin itself is pretty neutral tasting so you could do anything in the center that suits you....nutella maybe!



Lemon Chia Seed Muffins
-Adapted from Jean Pare Company's Coming Muffins and More

1 1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/4 cup softened butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup lemon jam (or any kind of jam)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a small bowl cream butter, sugar, and egg. Add vanilla. Stir in milk and chia seeds.

Measure flour, baking powder, and salt into large bowl. Stir to mix thoroughly. Make a well in the center.  Pour wet mixture into well. Stir to moisten only.   Fill muffin cups half way. Add 1/2 tsp of lemon jam on top. Add more muffin batter to fill the cup.

Bake for 15-20 minutes.

Makes 12 muffins.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment