Monday, April 9, 2012

Citrus Avocado Potato Salad





We had a bunch of friends over for a BBQ on Friday.  We were at a bike race earlier in the day and I wasn't sure when we'd be home so I wanted to have an "easy dinner" planned.  Hamburgers and homemade, not by me,  Honey Garlic and Asiago Fig sausages on the grill.  I was shameless about the potluck format and took friends up on offers to bring apps, salads, and dessert :)  All I was planning on doing was making these crispy horseradish potatoes.

I don't know about you, but when I have people over that I want to hang out with (I guess if you don't want to hang with them it is a different story), I don't want to be in the kitchen!  So, the potatoes turned into straight up roasted potatoes and the smashing and brushing steps were omitted.  I also made WAY too many.  The next day we had our family Easter dinner and I took  said roast potatoes to my aunts only to find an over abundance of potatoes there as well. So, the potatoes come back home with me. Honestly!

 What do to with these potatoes?  BBQ shrimp was the plan for last night so I thought potato salad.  Instead of the usual mayo based dressing,  I went with avocado. I am beginning to think that avocado is a great substitute for "creamy" ingredients.  The potato salad was fresh and light tasting without sacrificing that tangy flavour of the mayo.





Citrus Avocado Potato Salad

20 new potatoes

2 stalks celery finely chopped
1 small onion finely chopped
1 dill pickle finely chopped

Dressing:
3/4 of an avocado
juice from 1/2 lemon
2 tsp. mayonnaise
2 tsp. olive oil

Salt and pepper to taste

Place washed potatoes in a pot and fill with enough cold water to cover them. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through.  Remove from heat and let potatoes cool completely (you could cook them the night before as they take a long time to cool all the way through).

Cut the cooked and cooled  potatoes into quarters and place in a large bowl.  Add celery, onion, and pickle.  Set aside.

For the dressing, put the avocado in a medium bowl and mash.  I left mine a little chunky.  Add remaining ingredients and whisk with a fork.

Pour the dressing over the potatoe mixture and stir.  I decided chopped the celery leaves and add as a garnish.

Citrus Avocado Salad with BBQ lemon garlic shrimp

No comments:

Post a Comment