Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Gnocchi with Savory Mushroom Sauce


This recipe sparked a new Boysenberries category of "Kevin Approved" recipes. Kevin rarely comments with any vigor about how delicious something is. Well, this recipe elicited some serious compliments..."flavour packed, rich, savory". 

Since January we have made an effort to eat more whole food. I tend to stick to the "if I don't know what the ingredients are, I don't really want to eat it" rule.  One thing I have noticed from reading labels is that many sauces and dressings have the ingredient "spice" listed.  So sketchy.  I must note here that the Worcestershite sauce in this recipe does have "spice"...whatever that is!   I have been reading "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan and his message is eat food, not too much, mostly plants. So simple! 



This rule does get broken, I'm not going to lie. I think you need those exceptions to make a healthy change sustainable...more of a lifestyle.  I guess this is where that idea of habit comes in.  There is a kind of inertia that takes over with any kind of health behavior we adopt...when it becomes habit, when you're used to. It becomes easier and easier to stick with that behavior and make choices that are in line with your goals. There have been times where I have been injured and off running for a few months and getting back into it seems impossible. I have found that you need to lace up your shoes, get out the door, and start running. You'll feel sluggish and slow for a few weeks but before you know it you'll be back in the rhythm of your regular routine and going for your runs will be second nature again.  So, if your healthy eating ways fall by the wayside for a few days (as was my case this weekend), just start plugging away and you'll be back to your healthy routine.

OK, back to this recipe! The first of hopefully many Kevin Approved recipes (I need to get a little icon for this!)  The recipe is for the sauce itself and could be used over chicken, pork, beef, pasta, or any grain.

another option is to chop up all the components of the dinner (turkey sausage and asparagus)
and eat it in a big pile.  Not as nice for pictures though:)

Gnocchi with Savory Mushroom Sauce

2 cups crimini mushrooms sliced
1tbsp flour

1/3 cup red wine (I used Shiraz)
1/2 vegetable broth
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/8 tsp rosemary

In a medium bowl toss the sliced mushrooms with the flour and set aside.

Combine the remaining ingredients in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms/flour mixture and continue to simmer for 3 minutes while stirring. I served my sauce over gnocchi.

















1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy, Age. Love gnocchi. Will make this. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete