Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Faux Pho


This recipe for a version of pho (Vietnamese soup) is the result of a dinner gone wrong the night before.

I guess it wasn't a total failure. I had a plan of making a nice Sunday dinner of roast chicken. Now, it is important to note that on this particular Sunday the Oscar's were on.   I love this night. I take over the TV at 6pm to watch the red carpet show on E!
Being a rookie when it come to roast chicken, I put it in the oven way too late. At 6pm (I know, shouldn't I be on the couch by now) I take the chicken out, check internal temperature and determine it done. I throw my two sides into the oven (both of which were really tasty and I will post about later). We are now at 6:30... sides are done, let's carve this chicken. Upon the first slice into the chicken it was apparent it was NOT ready! At this point all I could think of were the celebs and dresses I was missing on the red carpet so I loaded my plate with my sides and headed to the TV.  Long story short, I roasted the breast and legs for lunchtime sandwiches and made stock out of the carcass.

Back to my faux pho. This isn't so much of a recipe as an idea.



Faux Pho

2 large bowls of homemade chicken stock with shredded chicken
2 heads of baby bok choy
4 crimimi mushrooms thinly sliced
10 green beans
2 green onions chopped
1/2 package brown rice pasta (225 g)
2 tablespoons hot sauce


Cook brown rice pasta. Steam the bok choy, mushrooms, and green beans. Add half to each bowl of stock. Garnish with the green onions . Add a dash of hot sauce.

This idea of throwing a ton of steamed veggies onto broth is simply not a way I've thought of eating soup before.  After making the recipe I was interested in what a true pho recipe would look like.  The broth is flavoured with exotic spices like star anise, cardamom, fennel ect. and garnished with Asian basil, lime and bean sprouts.  I think I will give the authentic version I try one day.  However, for a week night dinner when I had some homemade chicken stock lying around, my faux pho did the trick.  Tasty, healthy, and filling. Anyone have any tips or good recipes for Vietnamese Pho?

No comments:

Post a Comment